z

Young Writers Society



Gossip...it will cause your ruin (Continued)

by Certainly Love


Sorry, Read "Kiss the Damsel"


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
402 Reviews


Points: 1586
Reviews: 402

Donate
Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:37 pm
Wiggy says...



All right-keep writing! :D




User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 862
Reviews: 53

Donate
Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:36 am
Certainly Love says...



There is more to the story. It's going to be a lot more interesting...just read it and you'll see...trust me.




User avatar
402 Reviews


Points: 1586
Reviews: 402

Donate
Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:26 pm
Wiggy wrote a review...



Um, could you maybe...spruce up the story a little? I tried to get half-way through and I just couldn't. It was hard to read because it just seemed like they're sipping tea, talking daintily, and so on and so forth. I'm sure this could turn into a good story if you just put a little more action into it.




User avatar
131 Reviews


Points: 2834
Reviews: 131

Donate
Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 pm
smaur says...



Wow, I'm impressed. I think you're the first person who has actually listened to me about the formatting. Congratulations. You get, um, a cookie.

... now, all you have to do is fix the dialogue punctuation and word choice and you'll be set for more in-depth critiques. :)




User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 862
Reviews: 53

Donate
Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:49 am
Certainly Love says...



:evil:
Alright people, I'll space...I was just too lazy, so to say. (sigh) You guys are so critical. lol...cool, by the way.




User avatar
131 Reviews


Points: 2834
Reviews: 131

Donate
Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:22 pm
smaur wrote a review...



Stuff you should keep in mind:

- Formatting. Egads, people. It's really very simple. Crayon said it, too — space your paragraphs properly and more people will be willing to read it.

Observe:

“He caught your eye, didn’t he?”
“I beg you pardon!”
“You are pardoned. All I’m saying is that it isn’t common that an uncommon person is uncommonly talked about in doors.”
“We spoke profusely about scores of people. Why do you find it odd now?”
“Jane, Jane, Jane…if you admire the man, there’s no reason to hide it.”
“I beg your pardon!” She gasped.
“You are pardoned.”


And now, with the magic of the "Enter" key, it becomes:

“He caught your eye, didn’t he?”

“I beg you pardon!”

“You are pardoned. All I’m saying is that it isn’t common that an uncommon person is uncommonly talked about in doors.”

“We spoke profusely about scores of people. Why do you find it odd now?”

“Jane, Jane, Jane…if you admire the man, there’s no reason to hide it.”

“I beg your pardon!” She gasped.

“You are pardoned.”


Ta-da! No more eyesore. The world sleeps better, and hypothetically more people will read your story.

- Dialogue punctuation. Again, something that is relatively simple.

“He is not a killer, Jane. You are over-exaggerating.”
“All I’m saying is that he could be.”
Jane replied, setting her book aside.


should be

“He is not a killer, Jane. You are over-exaggerating.”

“All I’m saying is that he could be,” Jane replied, setting her book aside.


(Note the formatting.)

And:

“Marcus Daniel is a very preserved man and I wonder how on earth we started talking about him. It seems to me that I have reached my conclusion.” She sung.
“And what, pray tell, is that?” Jane snatched, a tad bit annoyed by her sudden indirect accusation.


should be

“Marcus Daniel is a very preserved man and I wonder how on earth we started talking about him. It seems to me that I have reached my conclusion,” she sung.

“And what, pray tell, is that?” Jane snatched, a tad bit annoyed by her sudden indirect accusation.


Unless, of course, Pamela really is breaking out into song, in which case you've got another problem on your hands of completely nonsensical actions at odds with the dialogue itself.

- Word choice. - I don't know if you purposely chose these words or if they're simply typos, but either way — proofread and correct.

“And what, pray tell, is that?” Jane snatched, a tad bit annoyed by her sudden indirect accusation.


should be "Jane snapped".

They were both in the marriage mart and still they had not found the right husband.


Marriage market? I suppose you could hypothetically interchange it with "mart", but in its present connotations, i.e. "Wal-Mart," it's at odds with some of your more archaic word choice.

----

My first and foremost suggestion is to format it properly and re-read. The dialogue itself is very confusing (and wooden, but that's something we'll hopefully talk about later) simply for the misplaced tags. Make sure you've got the "Jane replied," and "Jane said," tags in the same paragraph as her dialogue. Ditto Pamela.

Fix those things and I'll come back for slightly more in-depth critique.




User avatar
80 Reviews


Points: 1040
Reviews: 80

Donate
Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:28 am
ladydark says...



eh... could you space between all the dialogues? it's so hard to read when its mushed together... it hurts the eyes, seemed good so far, then it kinda got like a soggy oreo cookie... squished




User avatar
131 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 131

Donate
Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:47 pm
Crayon wrote a review...



wow set it out properly first so more people will make the effort to read it, i got about half way through and then had to stop because my eyes hurt! Other than that its a generally good story so far and once you've changed the set out of it all i might come back and finish, no i will come back and finish reading it.





"You, who have all the passion for life that I have not? You, who can love and hate with a violence impossible to me? Why you are as elemental as fire and wind and wild things..."
— Gone With the Wind